Sisters

Sisters
October 2008

Friday, November 14, 2008

Too smart for us!


I know that Kaia is only 16 months old (someone needs to tell her that!), but tonight she counted from 1 to 6 multiple times. She has done one and two and occasionally three, but nothing like tonight. She was counting some business cards and we did it a lot to make sure it wasn't a fluke. If we had done it a couple of more times she would have made it to 8 (that was the number of cards we had - she said 8 for the last one, but was still working on 7). We didn't lead her at all. She can also identify and name a lot more of the alphabet. So far we have: A, B, C, D, J, K, M, O, P, R, S, T, W and Z. And the word count just keeps going like crazy. She also knows how to manipulate a lot of situations. It doesn't always work, but she knows what to do.

Bryn and I have been trying to get through some of the organizing in the last week or so. He has busy and long days at school and he also caught the nasty bug that Kaia had. They kept trying to get me sick and I was on the brink, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Kaia and I have been keeping busy with all of our usual activities. She has had a hard time with her naps lately, but it is because of her teething. She is drooling like crazy and walking around with her entire fist in her mouth most of the time. It has to be molars!

We have been lining up a lot. We have people hired on both ends to clean the houses, I found Kaia a pediatrician and we have already signed her up for the next Music Together session in MD. The neighborhood we are moving into has been really supportive. I have been posting questions and asking for various recommendations on the local listserv and the neighbors have been a huge help. When I was asking for pediatricians I had a few people suggest a Dr. that is the son of the pediatrician I went to growing up. We are going to that office in the end, but it is a very small and weird little world.

Right now Bryn is off to the airport to pick up his brother. Jorn is going to be here for a week to help us out with the house, moving prep and Kaia. I can't wait to take the video of Uncle Jorn changing a diaper:) My best friend, Leigh, is flying up here next Friday and will drive back to MD on that Sunday with Kaia, Squirt (the cat) and myself. Bryn will wrap up everything up here and drive down the following day. The moving truck will deliver our stuff the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and the woman who helped raise me will be watching Kaia while Bryn and I do the move in. Thanksgiving will be spent at my brother, Mike's, house with all the local family. Thanksgiving weekend and have many offers to help out. The Wednesday after Thanksgiving, Bryn's mom flies in to watch Kaia through the weekend and then Bryn will head to work and we will have to enter the real world.

We have been very spoiled since Kaia was born. Bryn has had a very easy and flexible schedule. The two of them spend lots of time together and they always get to see each other before Bryn goes to school. We will soon be like everyone else and Bryn will leave for work at 6am and get home at 6pm if we are lucky. The two of them aren't going to know how to handle it and I am going to go crazy. Bryn has had short days that have allowed me to leave for various appointments and to get stuff done. It was nice while it lasted:)

No comments: